Saturday, July 25, 2009

Managers Blog Indianapolis: The Story of Generous Hendersons and Housing Prices

NOTE: For those of you viewing this on our Facebook or MySpace pages, the original post can be found HERE

I am a man made for the road. I adjust well to new circumstances very quickly and with ease. I don't mind waking up and not recognizing my surroundings. I don't mind cramped spaces, terrible sleep, body odor and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches every meal. Not only do I not mind any of those things, I crave them if it means I get to have a conversation every night with a new set of people about what drives them and makes them go where they go, do what they do, and be who they are. While I can't say I would willingly stay in every place we've been for much longer than the length we were there, I can say I have been able to consciously soak in every bit of each minute of these days on tour with Reverie.

One of the greatest things about this adventure has been the absolute generosity we've experienced at every stop. People we barely know and others we have just met have offered us food, drinks, gas money, and even their homes (and showers!) in exchange for some friendly conversation and a night of entertainment.

Our benefactors yesterday were a very talented Indianapolis indie (Indy Indie?) band called Henderson. Band leader Doug had met Reverie a while back and after liking their set very much struck up a friendship with them (I'll let Stephen fill in the background if he chooses).

We arrived into Indianapolis mid afternoon and after gassing up next to Birdy's where we'd be playing that night, Brad called over and got direction to The Henderson band house which happened to be just blocks away. As we pulled up in front of the address given to us, out walks Luke, a person who I've found to be one of the kindest and funniest people I've come across in a while.

Once I get our video camera in working order (COATE'S RULES OF THE ROAD: RULE #14 - IF YOU HAVE BAD LUCK WITH TECHNOLOGY LIKE I DO, BE PREPARED TO CONTINUE TO HAVE THAT BACK LUCK...) Brad and I filmed a pretty funny "MTV Cribs" Episode, and I also have some cool clips of Henderson practicing their MJ tribute songs.

As more people streamed over to the house, the afternoon became one of relaxation and discussion about topics ranging from guitar pedals to the state of the music industry to how to brew your own beer (I'll pass on that one for now). Regardless of what was being talked about the cool part was these four Chicago kids hanging out in a place geographically close to them but quite different in many ways but feeling exactly in the right place with the right people.

Eventually the time came to head over to Birdy's for the show. Apparently there was some sort of sudden unforeseen epidemic in Indy of missing drummers and bassists because 2 of the 5 scheduled bands had been stripped down to solo guys playing an acoustic guitar calling their bandmates assholes on stage or something like. This predicament bumped Reverie back from the #2 spot to #4 out of 5 bands for the night, right before the amazing headlining Henderson. The show we were there to play was actually Henderson's farewell show, and for his final set on stage with this band, the very cool Doug Henderson chose to wear a Reverie "Monster" shirt on stage. That to me was one of the most amazing gestures I've seen in my years seeing shows and being around music.

Both Reverie and Henderson killed it and for once I actually have some fun video for you here:




After the set we made our way back to The Henderson House for a night of more music, discussion, bonfires and Brad hustling everyone in the place with his foosball prowess. Upon waking up this morning, Luke had cooked us some yummy biscuits and gravy!! Once again we had a roof to sleep under that wasn't also a mode of transportation and once again we experienced kind words and kind souls. I could get used to this.

More soon.

`Coate

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet videos! I love the outfits!

Post a Comment

Go to Top